I've decided to start blogging my eating adventures. Mostly because cooking has become increasingly boring lately and this will add some excitement to my life. I'm not that girl who shares what she eats because I have an eating disorder. I don't believe in dieting. I think diets, like budgets, are lame and evil. On that financial note, some may consider me cheap and wonder why I can't afford regular food, this has nothing to do with that. Really I am just trying to be more resourceful so my money can be used for more important things. I decided to put cost next to my meals. If it is something I have in the pantry it's free which I realize isn't super accurate but going forward, if I grocery shop, I'll consider those costs.
On my sister's recommendation I stole the title from Carrie Sun's blog on hospital eating .

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Do things really expire?

Breakfast: Instant oatmeal with some almonds. I'm a fan of instant oatmeal it only requires water.  ($0)
Lunch: Cinnamon bagel thing and orange.  ($0)  This really is a true cost of 0.  My friend Morgan works with a food co-op and sometimes I, through her, get donations of expired foods.  I think she gave me these cinnamon things the week of Thanksgiving, which goes to show that expiration dates mean nothing.
Dinner:  This one's a winner.  Morgan found some Nica cheeses in her freezer from approximately 2 years ago and invited me over to enjoy them.  We attempted, and failed, at frying cheese which wasn't super surprising because we failed last time we tried to fry cheese too. 
Fried cheese doesn't normally look like this.
Besides frying cheese she also had quesillo cheese. For non-Nicaraguans you might not know about quesillo and this description probably won't make you want to try it.  You take quesillo cheese (kinda like string cheese) place it in a corn tortilla, add some pickled onions, and pour on some crema (like sour cream but more liquid), all of this goes into a plastic bag that you eat out of. 
 This is Morgan and her roommate Shirley eating quesillo.
Since cheese alone doesn't make a meal, Morgan also discovered that you can now buy canned red refried beans in America so we had some of those too.  ($0)
 Lovely red beans from a can!

Dessert: By dessert Morgan's roommate Megan came home she likes whipped cream so made a bowl of bananas with whipped cream and powdered chocolate for the three of us to share. It was pretty good considering the amount of work that went into it. ($0)

No comments:

Post a Comment