I've decided to start blogging my eating adventures. Mostly because cooking has become increasingly boring lately and this will add some excitement to my life. I'm not that girl who shares what she eats because I have an eating disorder. I don't believe in dieting. I think diets, like budgets, are lame and evil. On that financial note, some may consider me cheap and wonder why I can't afford regular food, this has nothing to do with that. Really I am just trying to be more resourceful so my money can be used for more important things. I decided to put cost next to my meals. If it is something I have in the pantry it's free which I realize isn't super accurate but going forward, if I grocery shop, I'll consider those costs.
On my sister's recommendation I stole the title from Carrie Sun's blog on hospital eating .

Thursday, September 6, 2012

tastes like chicken

Breakfast: I was running really late so I had a granola bar (stolen from camp last weekend) and a pear (from Heather but currently in the process of going bad). ($0)
Lunch: At Dr. Graham's again. He made soup but gave the spicy disclaimer so I was able to excuse myself and have the leftover pinwheel things from yesterday. ($0)
Dinner: Oh. my. i. am. my. mother.  Bible study was deli theme so I said I would bring pesto mayo (to use up some of my basil plant) and chicken salad because I thought I had all the ingredients I wanted to use.  Last night, in an act of organization, I actually defrosted a ziplock baggie of chicken so today I'd be ready to go.  Unfortunately when I pulled it out of the bag it didn't look like any piece of chicken I'd ever seen.  Maybe pork? The other white meat.  I still boiled it to see if it cooked like chicken, it didn't. Then I Googled "pork salad sandwiches." After some internal debate I realized I shouldn't bring mystery meat to a social function. I mean what if anyone asked what it was and my only answer was that I don't know.  Fortunately I did have some cooked chicken in the freezer that was easy to defrost and turn into salad. I was going to use Crasins, I don't have any, and used apples instead. I was going to use peanut, I don't have any, and used sunflower seeds instead.  I was going to use celery, I don't have any, and used bell pepper instead.  Then, for good measure, I added some "seasoning."  End result...rave reviews on my delicious chicken salad.  Next time...meat salad. ($0) 

1 comment: